A great way to start out the New Year is to create a rough marketing plan for the entire year:
What do you want to accomplish this year?
- I want to publish my memoir.
- I want to market my memoir successfully to make a profit on the book (just expenses, not time) by the end of the year.
- I also want to earn enough along the way to continue to support my family (time constraint).
- I also want to continue my education (time constraint).
- I want to minimize expenses (financial constraint).
What do you need to do along the way to achieve your goals?
- To complete the memoir.
- To acquire editing and proofreading services for the memoir.
- To publish the memoir.
- Estimating at least $3,000 in publishing costs.
- Estimating approximately $1,000 in marketing costs.
- Estimating the sale of at least 1,000 copies of the memoir.
- Marketing activities that will successfully promote the book in pre-launch, launch, and post-launch stages within these constraints.
You can do it, too:
- Tell yourself what you want.
- Acknowledge your constraints.
- Think about what those wants and constraints mean for you.
- What do you need to do?
As you can see, this is not a step-by-step marketing plan, but it is a place to start.